In 2008, Soltau’s mayor Wilhelm Ruhkopf introduced the “Sozialoffensive 2008” campaign that aims at improving the families’ situation by:
- making all residents, associations, institutions, companies etc. aware of the special needs families in Soltau have,
- easing the financial burden of families by only charging a day care center fee for the eldest child,
- creating more jobs in the day care sector as well as implementing a new evening care program for children,
- making new suggestions for a family-friendly design of the city,
- adapting the offers and services of Soltau’s municipality towards more family-friendliness
- and improving the balance between family and career.
Since the beginning of the aforementioned campaign, many tasks have already been accomplished, for example new day care offers especially in day care centers. Moreover, Soltau has established new important advisory services concerning the transition from school to employment as well as various volunteer work activities.
The family and service office in Soltau’s city hall arranges places at the various day care centers for free. Furthermore, it trains and supports the staff of day care centers and helps them find new employees. In addition to that, it provides all relevant information for families and acts as a point of contact for the many local help offers and advisory services.